Joy’s Camp, Kenya
An elegant oasis in the spectacular arid landscapes of Samburu; Joy’s Camp is built on the site of Joy Adamson’s tented home in Shaba National Reserve. The camp overlooks a large natural spring where elephant and lion jostle for watering rights with herds of buffalo and the rare desert species of Beisa Oryx, reticulated giraffe and Grevy’s zebra.
The eastern corner of the Samburu eco-system, Shaba is a secluded idyll; which Joy’s Camp guests can enjoy as a private experience, out of the hustle and bustle of Samburu – an arid landscape dotted with lush springs and rocky river gorges, home to unique and rare wildlife species.
Why Book Your Safari With Us?
We have over 25 years experience operating luxury safaris in Kenya. Our intimate safari camps and lodges, away from busy tourist hotspots, are world renowned, and our experienced guides, with a wealth of local knowledge, using open-side game drive vehicles with inbuilt camera chargers are the very best that Kenya has to offer.
We work closely with local tribes, communities and guides; our focus is to conserve and preserve the beautiful culture and wildlife of Kenya, whilst providing a breathtaking experience for our guests. Joy’s Camp has the prestigious Eco-tourism Gold rating, one of only a handful of camps in Kenya to do so – luxury and green can go together!
About the camp
Only 10 guest tents, each 100sq m sumptuous tent is uniquely decorated with handmade glass and the vibrant fabrics of the local nomadic tribes creating a chic, sophisticated and stylish camp. Each tent has its own private veranda, ideal for game viewing, as well as relaxing, reading and soaking up the truly wild environs offered by Shaba.
The camp has a swimming pool, well-being facilities, and a shop.
- A private experience of 59,000 acre National Reserve, part of the greater Samburu-Buffalo Springs ecosystem, with spectacular scenery.
- Rare arid species: Beisa oryx, reticulated giraffe, gerenuk, Grevy’s zebra, Somali ostrich, as well as elephant herds, big cats, buffalo, water-buck, and diverse bird species.
- Night gamedrives after an early “theatre dinner” – leopard, wild cat, porcupines …
- Experienced silver & bronze KPGSA certified guides.
- Walks, bush breakfasts and sundowners.
- Game drives in open custom designed 4×4 game viewing vehicles.
- Meet the truly nomadic Boran peoples
Watch the Joy’s Camp Video: